The internet is the number one platform used by traffickers, pimps, and customers to lure, buy and sell women and children
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
Every year hundreds of children and young adults are trafficked for the purpose of sexual exploitation in Ontario. Sex trafficking is a crime mostly hidden from view, and it continues to grow each year.
- Victims are primarily children and young adults aged 11 – 25
- Majority of victims are Canadian born from local communities, forced by their handlers to work in the sex trade (high-end hotels, motels, strip clubs, body rub parlors, private dwellings).
- Traffickers do not discriminate. No one, regardless of race, sexual orientation or socio-economic background, is immune from victimization
- The GTA and Ontario’s 400 series highways account for 60% of trafficking cases in Canada
- Human trafficking is second only to drug/gun trafficking in terms of size of illegal enterprise worldwide
- Severe physical abuse, drug, and emotional dependence are used to control victims
WHAT IS SEX TRAFFICKING?
The above video was produced by iRise and Rhonelle Bruder.
CLICK HERE FOR HELP TO REMOVE INTIMATE IMAGES OF YOURSELF OR A CHILD FROM SOCIAL MEDIA
As Canada’s tipline for reporting online child sexual abuse and exploitation, Cybertip.ca is dedicated to reducing child victimization through technology, education, public awareness, along with supporting survivors and their families.
Cybertip.ca is operated by the Canadian Centre for Child Protection (C3P), a national charity dedicated to the personal safety of children.
If you (or a friend, peer or sibling) have been negatively impacted by a sexual picture/video being shared by peers, we are here to help. The NeedHelpNow website is designed to provide youth (13 to 17 years old) with practical steps to regain control over the situation. This includes information about contacting websites/online services to request a picture/video be removed, dealing with peers who may have seen or be sharing the content, the importance of emotional support and information on certain criminal offences. The site also provides resources for parents and safe adults who are assisting youth involved in these types of instances.
WE NEED YOUR HELP!
Please help make a positive difference in the lives of survivors who have managed to escape the bonds of their trafficker. Your gift will help fund important research necessary for:
• Development of effective clinical programs that will meet the unique needs of survivors
• Government policy formation