A CRITICAL NEED
Victims are primarily young girls and women age 13 – 25 — 94% of whom are Canadian citizens — from local communities, forced by their handlers to work in the sex trade (high-end hotels, clubs, body rub parlors, private dwellings).
EMERGENCY HOUSING AND SPECIALIZED CARE ARE DESPERATELY NEEDED
• Sex traffic survivors require immediate and very specialized care that cannot be provided in existing, already over-crowded youth and women’s shelters
• The GTA accounts for 60% of trafficking cases in Canada
• In 2016, 500 human trafficking victims received services in the GTA — the need is escalating dramatically annually
• Human trafficking is second only to drug/gun trafficking in terms of size of illegal enterprise worldwide — in Canada one girl equals $280K in revenue each year to the trafficker
• Severe physical abuse, drug, and emotional dependence are used to
WE NEED YOUR HELP!
You have a chance to make a difference! Help HART provide shelter and services for trafficking survivors that include:
• Immediate specialized medical care (rape kit, STD testing, counseling) when survivors are rescued
• A safe place to live and all necessary individual-specific supports until the survivor can safely return to life outside the shelter